My Shopping List
Sea Scallops with Fresh Corn Ragout
Courtesy of Fresh Supersweet Corn
Serve With:Servings: 6
Toasted squares of Focaccio bread
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 ears Fresh Supersweet Corn, husked
+ 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
+ 2 Tbsp. leeks, white part, chopped
+ 2 c. dry white wine
+ 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
+ salt and pepper, as directed
+ 2 Tbsp. diced onion
+ 1 tsp. chopped garlic
+ 1 c. sliced fresh morels or small crimini mushrooms
+ 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
+ 30 medium sized dry-pack scallops
What to do:
1. Cut corn kernels from cobs; reserve kernels. Cut cobs in half crosswise. In a medium-sized skillet, over low heat, melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter. Add leeks and the corn cob halves; cover and cook until leeks are tender, about 5 min.
2. Increase heat to high and add the wine; simmer until reduced by 3/4. Remove and discard cobs (wine mixture should measure about 1/4 c.). Gradually whisk 3 Tbsp. of the remaining butter into wine mixture, 1 Tbsp. at a time, along with 1 tsp. of the thyme. Season with 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper. Keep sauce warm (in double boiler) until ready to serve.
3. In a large sauté pan, over low heat, melt the remaining 1Tbsp. butter. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook until tender, about 5 min. Add corn kernels, mushrooms, and the remaining 1 tsp. of thyme. Cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, about 5 min. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
4. Season scallops with 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sauté scallops, 10 at a time, until golden on all sides, about 3 min. in all.
5. To serve: Arrange corn mixture in centers of 6 serving plates. Drizzle sauce around corn mixture; top with scallops. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.
Courtesy of: CHEF JOHN BUBALA, THYME Restaurant, CHICAGO, IL