My Shopping List
Tex-Mex Steak Torta
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
Marinate: 6 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. beef skirt steak, cut into 4-6-in. portions
+ 3/4 c. salsa, divided
+ 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/2-in. thick slices
+ 1 medium poblano pepper, cut lengthwise in half
+ 1/4 c. reduced-fat mayonnaise
+ 1/4-1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
+ 4 oval sandwich rolls (each 6-7 in. long), split, toasted
+ 1 c. fat-free refried beans, warmed
What to do:
1. Combine beef steaks and 1/2 c. salsa in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hr. or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
2. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange onion and pepper around steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 7-12 min. (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 8-12 min.) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill onion and pepper 15-20 min. (gas grill times remain the same) or until vegetables are tender, turning once.
3. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/4 c. salsa, mayonnaise and chile powder in small bowl.
4. Remove and discard skins from peppers. Cut peppers into 1-in. thick slices; separate onion slices into rings. Carve steak into thin slices diagonally across the grain. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
5. Spread beans on bottom half of each roll. Evenly layer beef, peppers and onions over beans. Spread salsa mixture on top half of each roll. Close sandwiches, pressing slightly together.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 446; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 77mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 1023mg;